Sunday, May 6, 2012

In A World Full of Words


I always liked the month of May here in New England. It's when, outside, everything really begins to flourish. The hedges begin to fill in. The lilacs come to full bloom. And, typically, it's not too hot or too cold. And it noticeably gets lighter earlier and gets darker later. Spring has sprung.

I have also found that my creativity flows pretty well at this time of year as well. Although, the flow has not followed any routine these past years. Still, it offers me hope.

I finally finished reading Haruki Murakami's book, 1Q84. I began reading this novel -- sometimes at only sections at a time -- in January|2012 and finished it April 23, 2012. Despite the span of time, I had not lost interest in the story nor the characters whatsoever. I looked forward to my evening read before bed. And, depending on how my day went, I'd read a chapter each night, or -- if too tired -- at least a section within a chapter, and there are many to choose from where to bookmark.

But, I must admit, I read the last 36% of the novel the last weekend of April. I just couldn't put it down. I wanted to know ... I needed to know how this story was going to be resolved. It was, certainly for me, unpredictable -- as hard as I tried to.

And, to my amazement, just as I finished the last page, I got up out of bed, went to the other room, and there on the telephone wire outside the window, was a large crow! (If you read the book, as I highly do recommend, you'll get the reference.)

There are certainly some questions not fully answered that flow through my mind after reading this novel. But, that leaves it open for the mind to resolve on one's own. And, the way it ended, it seems to me that it was left open for a sequel, (1Q84-Book Four?).

I am glad to have finally finished this novel. But, on the other hand, I'll also miss being enthralled in the world of 1Q84 and its characters. (Pardon my informal review.)

I also just finished reading Harper Lee's book, To Kill A Mockingbird. It was an amazing story. It is such a perfect story ... well written and cleverly structured.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the film, "To Kill A Mockingbird", starring Gregory Peck. And I must say, having seen the movie before reading the book, the screenplay was very faithful to this book. Many of the actual lines from the book were used in the screenplay.

The only thing that comes to mind that I feel would have been a better casting choice was with the character Mr. Gilmer, the District Attorney. I believe the actor Pat Buttram would have been a perfect match for this role. Not only because he fits the description, in particular, his eyes, "Although his back was to us, we knew he had a slight cast in one of his eyes which he used to his advantage: he seemed to be looking at a person when he was actually doing nothing of the kind, thus he was hell on juries and witnesses." And the fact that he was from Alabama, his accent would have been natural. But, I'm nit-picking. He was who came to mind when I read this story.

I can't say enough about this story. It wasn't too long. It wasn't too short. It was simply perfect.

I've returned to writing the Gray Locke series. Some major changes were made to the fourth book's story. And I'm still struggling with the third book with its changes.

The third book, titled Giants of the Vale, starts out; "Gray Locke looked through the mirror at his reflection, but there was something missing." Good? Bad? That opening sentence, I believe, was the better of the lot. We'll see.

I go through self-doubt when it comes to my writing. I have ideas but struggle with finding the right words -- the words that make you want to read the story.

In a world full of words, your words must capture the attention of the reader and keep them turning the pages and wanting more.

1 comment:

  1. Finding the right words is always a challenge!

    I'm grinning at your reading To Kill a Mocking Bird! Love that novel. It's been so long since I read it--makes me want to have another go at it (and a certain sandbox story, lol). And I know what you mean about spring...I just finished a ms and need to get going on another. Maybe it will happen if I can just find that opening sentence...Maybe I'll start with the month of May...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete